Monday, November 17, 2008

Styles of Parenting

Diana Baumrind, a psychology professor at the University of California at Berkeley, extensively studied parenting styles by observing families firsthand. She identified three different styles of parenting and also determined that one is more effective in raising confident children.

  • Permissive. You dish out a lot of affection, but you make few demands on your kid and wouldn’t consider yourself a strong disciplinarian. You’d rather be your kid’s best friend than her parent.
  • Authoritarian. You use a lot of commands and threats based on an absolute standard of conduct and higher authority. You rarely ask your child what he thinks or consider compromising or negotiating. You believe in indoctrinating your child with respect for work, authority, and tradition. There’s no give-and-take.
  • Authoritative. Your parenting combines confident authority with reasoning, fairness, and love. You encourage your child’s input and acknowledge your own responsibility as an adult but also your child’s individual needs and desires.

If you think you’re too permissive, see if any of these statements reflect your attitude:

  • I want to raise my child differently from how I was raised. My parents were too strict, and I don’t have a good relationship with them.
  • My schedule takes me away from my family a lot. This is my way of making up for not being there for my kids.
  • Everyone gives their kids things. Why should I be any different?
  • I’m trying to be a friend to my kids. I think that’s a big part of raising children and being a good parent.
  • I want my child to be happy and have a happy childhood. Always being on his case for his behavior isn’t going to help develop that outcome.
  • I’m afraid to say no to my child. He might not love or approve of me.
  • My child has had some tough breaks, and I’m just trying to make things easier.
  • I don’t believe in punishment.
  • I’m afraid that if I say no I might crush my child’s self esteem or spirit.
  • Bad behaviors just go away on their own. They’re really just a phase.

If you think you’re too authoritarian, see if any of these statements fit you:

  • I’m exhausted. I really don’t have time to listen to my kid’s opinions.
  • I believe kids should be seen, not heard.
  • This is how I was raised, and it’s how I plan to raise my kids.
  • Deep down this isn’t my philosophy, but my spouse is authoritarian. I’m copying my parenting partner’s style of discipline.
  • I think kids today are spoiled and need a firm hand, or they will never respect authority.
  • I don’t know another way to discipline my kids.
  • I’m afraid to lose control.
  • I believe in a family culture where you respect your elders and there is a clear hierarchy.

Which parenting style do you think produces kids who are more confident as well as more respectful? You’re right if you guessed “authoritative.” Consistently using this style of parenting greatly improves the chances that you will raise a more respectful, confident, happier child who also has a healthy relationship with you. What will make you decide to change your current style of discipline? What is the first step you need to take to make that change happen?

Source : 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know. GETTING BACK TO BASICS AND RAISING HAPPY KIDS . Michele Borba, Ed.D. 2006

No comments: